Friday, September 16, 2005

Tools of a Skeptic

I was really interested in the article Stupid Skeptic Tricks written by DOwens6683 because it gave me an insight on some of the "tricks of the trade" if you will. Now in the article it goes into the explanation of techniques that skeptics use in arguments against others to help persuade them into submitting to the skeptic and thus winning the argument. Now I don't completely agree with all that the author has to say, or even believe all that they are stating because some of it seems a little cynical. I am not saying that the author is attacking skeptics, or that his argument is not valid, what I am saying, is that some of these methods, mainly one in particular, seems a little questionable.
The technique that I am referring to is listed as number four in the article and is titled "Stupid, Crazy Liars". Now I will admit, when I first read this I had a pretty good laugh over it because it seems out of place. Maybe I am not used to a conversation or argument with a skeptic since English 102 is the first time I have studied or encountered skepticism, but come on, slander as a argument technique? The first line of the explanation states "Anyone who reports anything which displeases the skeptic will be accused of incompetence, mental illness or dishonest". Now in my experience with arguments, you only reduce yourself to slander when the person you are arguing with is someone you don't respect or perhaps you are in a fight and not an argument. I do not really see two or more educated people debating over the validity of something and have the debate be reduced to slander because one of the arguers possibly made a seemingly invalid response. Maybe I just have not study skepticism enough yet, but it seems irrational. What do you guys think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home